Tuesday, February 19, 2008
The following is a recipe from Martha Stewart's Food Magazine. She had a recipe for home-made sauce as well, but that is too much work!
I also halved the spinach.
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 3 cups grated pepper Jack cheese (12 ounces)
* 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
* 1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
* 6 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
* 16 corn tortillas (6-inch)
* 2 cans of enchilada sauce...I use Herdez green sauce
I use a lot of sauce..I mix in a little with the filling and put some on the bottom of the pan.
1. Make filling: In a large bowl, combine 2 cups cheese, beans, spinach, corn, scallion whites, and cumin; season with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil two 8-inch square baking dishes; set aside. Stack tortillas, and wrap in damp paper towels; microwave on high for 1 minute. Top each tortilla with a heaping 1/3 cup of filling; roll up tightly and arrange, seam side down, in prepared baking dishes.
4. Dividing evenly, sprinkle enchiladas with remaining 1 cup cheese, and top with sauce. Bake, uncovered, until hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; serve garnished with scallion greens.